Thursday, October 22, 2009

Green speeds

I wanted to make sure I clarified our green speeds upon posting.
Today, the greens are stimping approximately 12.5ft on the stimpmeter.
12.5 feet and they WERE NOT cut today. One reason for the increased
speed is the changing season. Over the last week we recieved December
like temperatures. These in combination with much shorter day lengths,
the grass is begining to shutdown. Sand will fluxate in temperature
much quicker than clay or loam. This is why the greens will yellow out
quicker in the fall and green up faster in the spring than any other
area of the course.
We have reduced our greens mowing to 4 days a week, but have
continued our in season rolling schedule. If temperatures dictate the
need to increase our mowing frequency, we will do so.
There are also agronomic reasons the greens are as true and as
quick as they are, fertlity and growth regulator mangement are just a
few reasons.

William Brown, CGCS
Regional Agronomist

Pegasus Golf Management

Sent from my iPhone

1 comment:

  1. I thought that mug looked familiar when I saw the cover of GCI. Sounds like you are doing well. I took a brief break from the industry for a year, but ended up in a decent assistants job. I still think about gulph mills from time to time and how different working up north is compared to Fl. Shoot me an email, chrisbevers7779@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete